Hazard Kentucky and Perry County: A Photo History
Home
Early Years
1930s - 1940s
1950s - 1960s
1970s & Beyond
Flood Pictures
Guest Book
Message Board

Site Map
Tip: The Site Map contains links to all web pages on this site

"One thing I liked about Main street was every morning about 10 '0 clock everybody that had a business on Main street use to slip out the back door and go down to Hazard Drug because they charged a nickel for a cup of coffee.  The other places charged a dime.  We'd go in there and have a meeting and straighten out the world situation and have a cup of coffee and swap a few tall tales."
-- Hal Cooner


The 1950s and 1960s

More 1950s - 1960s pointer

Click here
click to enlarge

Main Street, Hazard Kentucky - 1950s
Classic shot of downtown during its heyday

Click here
click to enlarge

Downtown Traffic
Another nice view of Main Street
Compare with today

Click here
click to enlarge

Old Court House
The old Perry county court house surrounded by cars and pedestrians during the 1950s. The old structure was beginning to show signs of age. It was razed in 1964 to make way for the current facility

Click here
click to enlarge

View from the Hurst Hotel
This shot was taken from a window of the old Hurst Hotel (now, radio building) around 1950. Note People's Bank building with former name (First National) spelled across top. The Southern Fried Chicken sign was part of Pauline's (Beams) Cafe.
courtesy Bobby Davis Park/Museum

Click here
click to enlarge

HHS Marching Band
The buildings seen on the right are now a parking lot and McDonalds .

Click here
click to enlarge

Various Main Street Businesses
Grand Hotel, Scotts, Papanias Jewelry, Lee Lykins IGA, Eight Ball Pool Room, Taxi Alley, Fullers Dept Store.
[ Compare with 1998 Photo  ]

Click here
click to enlarge


V.F.W. Parade 1954
Features rare shot of large "Hurst Hotel" sign on corner of Main and Morgan.
courtesy of Bobby Davis Park and Museum

Click here
click to enlarge

Hurst Hotel and Old Court House
Notice the artillery cannon that once sat in front of the court house. Taken in the early 1950s

Click here
click to enlarge


Main Street II
Another classic shot of 1950s Main street showing various makes and models of period automobiles

Click here
click to enlarge

Gene Baker Motor Co.
New building for this Ford Dealer - 1954. Later home to Cardinal Chevrolet.
Their old headquarters

Click here
click to enlarge

East End of Main
Various business at one end of Main street. All long gone except for the service station that was later to become Muncy's
photo:
L. O. Davis
courtesy Bobby Davis Park & Museum

Click here
click to enlarge

Street Scene
People shopping and visiting downtown near Peoples Bank and Bible's Market (later called George's Market)
photo: L. O. Davis
courtesy Bobby Davis Park & Museum

Click here
click to enlarge

The Cinema Drive-In
Once located at Christopher. Like most drive-in movie theatres, it went the way of the dinosaurs.
photo: L. O. Davis
courtesy Bobby Davis Park & Museum

[ another photo ]

Click here
click to enlarge

New Municipal Parking Lot
Located off of Memorial Drive. Nice view of this section of town. Here is a view prior to construction . See the other views below.
Another view from 1955
Yet Another View: 1958
courtesy Bobby Davis Park & Museum

Click here
click to enlarge

Dairy
The Perry County Milk Co-Op, Wabaco early 1950s.

More 1950s - 1960s pointer
Home | Early Years | 1930s-1940s | 1950s-1960s | 1970s+  
  Flood | Old News | Misc | Guest Book | Msg Board