Hazard Kentucky and Perry County: A Photo History
Home
The Early Years
1930s - 1940s
1950s - 1960s
1970s & Beyond
Flood Pictures
Guest Book
Message Board

Site Map

"There are four barber shops here with about ten chairs...One doesn't have to wait for hours for a 'scrape' here as he does at Whitesburg where sometimes the sole barber goes fishing."
Louis Pilcher, 1913

 

The Early Years  #2 of 5      

More Early Years pointer

Click here
click to enlarge

Court Day
People coming to town to trade and visit. Exact date unknown
[ compare with today ]

Click here
click to enlarge

Davis Motel and Store
This business and dwelling burned in 1913. It was located where Don's Restaurant (now, North Fork Grill) later was. Boy in first floor doorway is the late L. O. Davis.

Click here
click to enlarge

High Street 1913
A view of this road looking toward town. The house on the left reportedly belonged to a "Red" Bob Combs.

Click here
click to enlarge

Main Street
This photograph was taken approximately 1913 or 1914
photo: John Kinner/ courtesy Bobby Davis Park/ Museum

Click here
click to enlarge

Steps
A worker is seen setting posts in the ground to be used as steps across a muddy Main street.

Click here
click to enlarge

 

Another View
This shot of the town was taken near the same time as the one above only from the opposite angle

 


"The streets of Hazard during wet spells remind one of Venice..."

Louis Pilcher 1913


Click here
click to enlarge

Rail Service Arrives
On June 17, 1912 , less than two months after the Titanic sinks, the railroad finally makes it to Hazard.

Click here
click to enlarge

Celebration Day
The Train is decorated with streamers and flowers to mark the occasion
photo: Kinner

Click here
click to enlarge

Engine 324
Hazard citizens gather to welcome the arrival of the first train to town. The man in the wagon (foreground) is John "Flat" Williams.

Click here
click to enlarge

Brass Band
A small group of musicians sit atop a car full of rails ready to play for the crowd.
photo: Kinner

Click here
click to enlarge

The Train Depot
The city's first train depot. Date Unknown
See Below

Click here
click to enlarge

The L & E Depot
L & E stood for The Lexington & Eastern Railroad. The name was changed to the L & N (Louisville & Nashville) in 1915
photo: John Kinner courtesy Hazard Perry Co. Museum
[
compare with today ]

Click here
click to enlarge

Early Passenger Service
May 22, 1913
photo: John Kinner
courtesy Hazard Perry Co. Museum


Click here
click to enlarge

No Running
The sign over this bridge reads: "5 fine to pass over this bridge faster than a walk" The threesome is unidentified.
This bridge to the depot was destroyed by the '27 flood and replaced with this toll bridge .

Click here
click to enlarge

Unknown Ceremony
Interesting photo taken at court house steps in 1918 or 1919. This event is likely related to W.W. I
submitted by Glenna Ritchie

More Early Years pointer
More Photographs
"Why in the name of decency and respectability should Main street be left in it's present condition?  It is dirty, slimy, nasty, filthy, and muddy. With a little work the mud could be removed and dumped into a hole and Main Street cleaned up."

W.W. Peavyhouse
June 12, 1919

More Early Years pointer
pointer_lft.gif (123 bytes) Previous
Home | Early Years | 1930s-1940s | 1950s-1960s
1970s+Flood | Misc | Guest Book | Msg Board